So you want to be a writer, huh?
Great! We'd love to help you get started…
Obviously there's no definitive guide for what it takes to become a Super Famous Writer, but, there are definitely some good practices and tips to give you a good start:
- Explore what it's like to be a writer. Be confident in yourself, and know that you can do it even if you are unsure.
- Read! The more you read, the better writer you'll be. Feast on novels, biographies and graphic novels. You can also use short stories and poems to spark your imagination.
- Try creating a ten page book on a subject you enjoy. When you've finished your book, expand it. If you're stumped, you can check out our "Why Not Write Wednesdays" prompts!
- Write as often as possible. Try to write something every day, even if it is only a few lines.
- Journal. Journaling even just a little bit will help you get into the writing habit - write down real-life or made-up, fictional events.
- Write what you are interested in reading about. Try creating characters - think about what they would look like, how they would speak, where they would live, what their greatest wish would be, etc.
- Expand your vocabulary. When you come across a new word, don't just skip it - learn it! Then apply some new words you've learned to your daily conversation or in your writing.
- Be open to constructive criticism. Get other people to read your writing and give you suggestions. See if you like them!
- Hang out with other writers and share your work. Take classes, join a group of young writers. Share your work! Submit your writing to a magazine or website featuring young authors.
- Never give up! If you need to wait a while before showing other people your writing that's OK. When you're ready, share it with a teacher, a family member or a friend. Writing takes practice, so keep at it!
So there you have it - hopefully some useful and practical ideas for how to get you on the path to becoming a writer!
We'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas and of course read samples of your awesome writing - please feel free to share and comment below!